4/30/2010

Taco Rice

My mom made up this recipe when I was in high school & it was a big hit in our house. Now, it is a big hit in mine. There aren't that many recipes where I get a big smile from each member of the family - some are a little picky. But, when I make this dinner I ALWAYS hear "Thanks, mom!" They get to top it with whatever they like and everyone is happy.

And the best part is how easy and fast it is to make! You can make it quickly on the busy nights and enjoy a great meal. My mom always made it with ground beef and white rice, but since we are trying to eat a little better I tried it a little different last time. I made it with ground turkey and brown rice & couldn't tell any difference!! The kids had no clue.

Taco Rice
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
2 cups (approximately) cooked white or brown rice
1 packet or 1/4 cup taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce

Taco toppings -
chopped tomatoes
cilantro
cheese
onions
avocado
shredded lettuce
salsa
tobasco sauce
Tortilla or corn chips

Brown the meat in a skillet and drain the juices. Add the taco seasoning and water, mix and then simmer for a couple minutes. Add the tomato sauce and rice and then mix well. Heat all the way through.

Serve on plate and top with all of your favorite taco toppings. My husband and I needed a little bit more kick to ours last time (but the kids didn't), so we sprinkled it with a little Tobasco sauce and it was great! We love to eat ours with a handful of chips for a little crunch.

2 comments:

  1. This looks good. I love Mexican food. I'll have to try this the next time we have Mexican night at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing so many yummy recipes. I'll have to give this one (and many others) a try. I think my boys will like this one!!

    ReplyDelete